Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Clinging on.


At some moments in our lives, we struggle through tougher battles. Battles that seem to drag on forever, that show no sign of victory, only loss, that take out more from us than we can bear. We find ourselves blaming God, questioning His plans, blaming our loved ones, ourselves, and unable to rejoice with others.

My rational self knows what is the right thing to do. I know I should trust in God’s control. I know I should remember that we already have the greatest ‘good news’ – His message of salvation that redeems us from the eternal death we deserve, into the eternal life He promised. THAT is THE good news. I know I should focus on His plan for us to do what is good according to His purposes. Therefore, I know that I should be able to rejoice with my friends, because He has given us this community to love one another.

I believe these things. I also know that God created us, allowing us to have emotions. More than that, He knows our emotions. Even the deepest, darkest ones. I believe He can and will help us change those over time, as we live according to His plan more and more, and our own less and less.

But, how are we supposed to live every day when our souls continue to feel empty and discouraged, in spite of knowing the truth?

I shall trust, and remember that I am in fact not empty, but have a purpose-filled life the way God intended. I’m not sure I will live that way every day, but I am sure He does what He promises. And I will cling on to that.

No comments: